Assaggi

Yes....here we go again...another restaurant review....opinion.....on Friday morning, short notice, we decided to make a reservation  at the Italian restaurant in Illovo called Assaggi.....I have been there before but many years ago and thought it was time for all of us to go and try it again....well the atmosphere has not changed, in other words there still is NO atmosphere.....we ordered some wine and then mom and Mutti wanted some Prosecco so we ordered a bottle, just to be told by the waiter that they are out of stock and only have local bubbly...oh well....Graham Beck it was....my dad and Kim of course preferring red wine ordered a bottle....to AGAIN be told that wine is out of stock....hmmm...now that is a bit too much....so they went for another choice....at least that one they had...

Now time to order some starters....Kim, Mutti and dad all went for the mussels....and they were delicious, the sauce was sublime, it had whole garlics in them which i absolutely loved....mom and I decided to share the calamari fritti and zucchini fritti...we wanted to compare them to our restaurant....the zucchini fritti...I must admit...were better than at our restaurant, they had less batter and seemed crunchier.....the calamari fritti, our restaurant, hands down, wins....they were the tubes and they were chewy, we do the heads and they are crispy like they should be......quite a heavy starter, definitely recommend sharing.....

Calamari fritti and zucchini fritti

After starters of course it was time for mains....mom decided on the chicken breast with spinach, Mutti had the tartuffo fettuchini, Kim and dad ordered the veal chops which is accompanied by potatoes and zucchini fritti (if I would have know they were the same then I would not have ordered that starter), I went with something light, the caprese. I must say the prices were quite heavy....people definitely should not complain at our restaurant....the chicken was a little tough, the spinach was normal (not baby spinach) and was decent. Mutti's fettucchini were nice but extremely rich, I would never have finished a portion (pity they do not do half portions, like we do :-)) Kim and dad were disappointed cause they expected their veal to be crumbed, when checking the menu it says grilled or crumbed but the waiter did not ask them and they forgot to mention it...the potatoes were average and the fritti were nice, although Kim said he wanted something less heavy, less oily......my caprese was nice, big portion though, and I must admit, I really do prefer it when they tear the mozzarella rather than cut it, it just has so much more flavour.....good meal but nothing to rave about and nothing I would run back to...

Dessert...we thought let's share two of the desserts....Dolce della nonna (amaretti biscuits soaked in Amareto liquor whipped cream, zabaglione with crushed nuts and chocolate) and Sfuma di ciccolato mix of dark and light choc mousse)....that was nothing special...nothing I actually remember much...the dolce della nonna on the other hand...that was amazing....so delicious, just wow....we were fighting about who gets what bite...damn....so final verdict.....I would go back if someone else did the reservation, but I still would argue that there is many better places....sadly, not a place to rave about.....hence I also did not take so many pics...I promise I will be better in my picture taking next time.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding time.....my baby sister's wedding

Another cruise in Western Caribbean

First few days in our new home- Dallas TX