Life Grand Cafe

So it has been Kim and my aim to go out for dinner to a restaurant once every 2 weeks....at least...try something new, or re-visit an old favourite and check they still live up to the standards we are known by them.....

So on a late Saturday afternoon Kim and I were strolling around Hyde Park and decided to have a quick bite to eat at LIFE Grand Cafe....the decor is alfresco, looks very much like a Tasha's bit it seemed nice, there was a salad bar (nothing fancy, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, croutons, carrots, feta, the basic displayed in different bowls and you could choose what to add to your bowl.....Kim and I opted for Sushi....a Avocado and Cucumber Dragon role....the restaurant was fairly empty to we expected fast service...well how wrong we were....the drinks were quite speedy, but the sushi...first the waiter came and apologised for the delay, then the one manager came and apologised again (this is without Kim and me actually asking), then the third manager, a lady came, and said "I am very sorry about the delay, the sushi section is a little overloaded, but I just saw your sushi, it is here in 1 minute"...now when a comment like that comes, i actually expect it to be there in 1 minute.....when it wasn't...that was the first time Kim and I felt a little irritated, don't come and bullshit about how long it will take...when it came, not sure whose fault it was, but we were disappointed, this role we chose was more expensive than the salmon California role and somehow from the price and name we expected the dragon role to have fish...anyway, it was purely vegetarian, literally cucumber and avocado with avocado on top.....disappointment...but like I said, not sure who to blame, us or the explanation....unfortunately I didn't even take a pic....

Kim and I did believe that it was not a fair judgement on a restaurant and we decided to go back one night before venturing to the movies.....so we wanted a small bite to eat and we noticed that Life does tapas (Spanish) and wanted to order various once, we ended up ordering Harrisa mixed vegetables, white anchovies, grilled halloumi and gambas aioli.....they arrived in good time, were a little bit small to what we expected, but taste was yummy, I even ordered a second portion of the Harissa mixed vegetables....the white anchovies were great and so was the halloumi, the gambas we were disappointed cause in Spain they are the small prawns (de-shelled) and here three large prawns came still in the shell....we just expected the small ones....taste still nice though....I do believe they could serve you a little bit of bread on the side to enjoy your tapas....let me share a pic before I continue

White anchovies (back left), Gambas (back right), Harrisa mixed vegetables (front left) and halloumi (front right)

Would we go back...yes we would...maybe not for the sushi...but the tapas were nice, small and nice, there were quite a few other things on the menu which actually caught my attention, from a rustic pizza to salmon tartar...why not go again before heading for a movie. It is a casual spot where you can have a small quite bite to eat. I would not say it is somewhere you want to spend a lengthy evening cause the atmosphere is lacking, lunch I am sure could be a good option....and next time...maybe an afternoon coffee with a piece of cake....so from me...cheers...time for the movie Taken3.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding time.....my baby sister's wedding

Another cruise in Western Caribbean

First few days in our new home- Dallas TX