Finland

As promised....after returning from Naples, that night (Wednesday) we had a farewell aperitif with all our friends....was nice to say our final good-byes. Thursday for us was some relaxing and some admin things (closing bank accounts, facials etc). Friday we left early to travel to Rome where we had a straight flight to Finland. Here is Sofia in the airplane:

Sofia Ready to Go

Sofia Ready to Go

In Finland we enjoyed our time seeing Kim's parents, sister and some friends. Of course we went to our favourite coffee places "Coffee House" and "Cafe Rongo", we met some friends and caught up with them.

Friday night dinner, Kim's parents made dinner and invited Katja and her family as well as their friend Gustav...they made Gravlax (salmon cured in salt, sugar and dill), small fried fish, potatoes and salad...for dessert cake...and for congratulating me in being accepted into the university they served Veuve Clicquot, all so delicious.

Saturday evening we were invited to go to Katja's place and they made a warm smoked salmon with roasted cherry tomatoes and mozzarella as well as baked potatoes and cheese....dessert rhubarb crumble served with vanilla cream...all very delicious food....accompanied with prosecco.

Sunday evening Kim, Sofia, Rick and I went down to the river to a place called Kiva and we had a brodi (a hamburger roll served with chips and you can choose the inside...I had the portobello mushroom with pesto), it was damn good...for drinks Kim had a cider and I had a glass of prosecco and drum roll...it was FLAT...we complained and they just shrugged their shoulders....this, I was very shocked about....I felt that we paid quite a bit for a glass and they definitely should have tried it and exchanged it...shocking....Rick had an apple juice and guess who wanted....Sofia...she loved it so much that we had to get a second one...hahaha....would I go back to the place nope...cause I must say the prosecco shocked me...let me share a pic of Sofia and Rick though....

Rick and Sofia

Monday evening we were invited to some friends for dinner who made Finnish sausage and lamb with a couscous salad. Can you believe I tried the lamb and I must say it was not bad...it definitely did not have the strong lamb taste that I am used to from South Africa. Dessert...Rhubarb crumble...I was in heaven, served with ice-cream...Sofia enjoyed her evening and I think her highlight was the two cats. Sofia just seems to have a very soft spot for animals. Let me share a pic of her...

Sofia Showing how Tall She is

The last night we were all invited to go for dinner with Kim's parents at a place called Fryysarinranta. It was such a cool looking place...down by the river and all made from wood inside and outside....we arrived there by "taxi". Rasmus has a summer job to drive a "taxi" and Sofia really wanted to try it....have a look...we arrived in style.

Rasmus, Sofia and I (Kim was taking the pic)

The food at the place was absolutely amazing...presentation and taste....just wow....we ALL loved it. Rick wanted to sit next to Sofia and of course she loved that and they shared hamburger and chips. Kim and I shared local, Porvoo, snails with a garlic and herb butter and also white fish served with egg and for mains I had the salmon with cauliflower puree and Kim had the grilled reindeer burger....let me share some pics....

Snails in Garlic and Herb Butter

White Fish with Egg and Crisps

Salmon with Cauliflower Puree

Grilled Reindeer Burger and Chips

Rick and Sofia

Dessert was a fruit cheese cake served at home. So yes....we have been eating well the past few days...I think I will explode soon. One day we also visited Kim's Godmother in Helsinki and some friends of Kim's. Every day we also went to various playgrounds so Sofia could enjoy the slides, swings and the sandbox...she just loves it...

Sofia in the Swing

Sofia Climbing on the Jungle Gym

Wednesday morning we left early, 5:15, and flew back to Rome. We drove home...had Wednesday afternoon and Thursday in Tuscany, packing all our final things and then Friday morning we woke up at 3am....and left Montisi, our home for 1.5 years. We are ready for our new adventure in the States....Texas here we come. Ciao Bella Italia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding time.....my baby sister's wedding

Another cruise in Western Caribbean

First few days in our new home- Dallas TX