Lunch in Hong Kong

I know...I will be writing again about food, but we all know how much I love food and to try new things....what we normally did is one meal is a big meal, with lots of indulging and one meal is a bit smaller, otherwise I think I would be rolling back to South Africa....which I do not think would be very comfortable.....so let's now talk a little bit about some lunch places which we discovered while in Hong Kong....the one day we met Fabienne at Landmark mall and she said we should meet her and Greyhound Cafe....while walking through the mall there were big celebrations, Chinese New Year, the year of the goat, there was music and the Chinese Symbols were everywhere, actually very beautifully done....


Chinese New Year display


Ox and rat

The Greyhound menu looked amazing, and of course there was a cake display which looked so delicious I already knew that I need to try one of those, so no way I was going to fill my tummy with only savoury goodies....the best option again...sharing (except for dad who decided he wanted to have a roast beef sandwich for himself). The 4 ladies, we shared a salmon carpaccio with a spicy dressing, vegetarian spring rolls, calamari fritti with aioli, Pad thai with shrimps and tofu and a scallop salad....my favourite the salmon carpaccio and the scallops, but I am a sucker for good scallops, these ones were those big round scallops, simply to die for and the salmon carpaccio, well I love salmon anything, so I guess I am bias....but truly worth a visit also....


Salmon Carpaccio with spicy dressing


Spring rolls


Scallop salad

As promised, dessert was in order, dad and I wanted to share something. However, dad's choices were definitely not for me (chocolate cake or waffles or crepe suzette), I was debating between the apple crumble and the walnut brownie with toffee sauce and ice-cream. In the end I said to dad, if you want to share then I pick, otherwise we both order separately.....he decided he goes with what I would like to have....walnut brownie with toffee sauce it was, Fabienne decided on the apple crumble (very convenient for me cause then I could also try) and Mutti went for the berry cheese cake (Mutti is s sucker for any type of cheese cake, baked or not and any flavour).  I must admit....the best dessert hands down was the walnut brownie. The again, the apple crumble was very good, but for me too sweet and I am not a fan of cheesecake (although it was a good one), hence I am bias again....I would definitely go back to this place, was excellent....but one thing...leave space for dessert cause it is way too nice to leave out.....I didn't manage to take a pic of he apple crumble, but the other two desserts I managed to get a snap of before they were devoured, very FAST


Berry Cheesecake

Walnut brownie with toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream 

Now before I am going to end this blog I will tell you about one more lunch place, this was inside the mall where my sister lives. We went to a place called Crystal Jade (a chain) to try the famous dim sums called Xiao Long Bao.


Outside Crystal Jade


The famous explanation of Xiao Long Bao

This little spot I said to Fabienne, you order whatever you think, I'll just eat what you order and the rest of the family seemed to agree, I just wanted to try these famous dumplings which are filled with meat and soup....definitely sounded interesting....this was a rather interesting and typical Chinese place, in the middle was the round turning circle where they placed each dish and then we could easily share just by turning the wheel. All dishes arrived at very different times, so you better not wait until all dishes have arrived, you better eat when they arrive, even if it is one at a time...first one to arrive was the beef stir fry, great sauce, but rich and very strong sauce, but good....then came some prawns in a chilli sauce, large prawns and they were very juicy, next the egg fied rice arrived, then the Xiao Long Bao....and Fabienne explained, the best way to eat, bite a small hole at the top, suck out the soup and then put into your mouth, of course do not forget to dip it in the famous sauce which is soya sauce mixed with fresh ginger.....then came the vegetarian spring rolls, followed by a basket full of bread, but not your traditional Western bread, in fact in reminded me a lot of Naan bread in India...very nice....and last but not least, my dad wanted another portion of the beef...so another beef was ordered and another beef arrived.....dessert we decided to skip and rather find a goodie at Starbucks....


Prawns in chilli sauce


Xiao Long Bao

What did I think about the food, yes it was nice, nothing I would run back to, and nothing I could eat twice in a row, But then again I have always said that about Asian Cuisine, one meal and then the next few meals I need flavours again that are more associated with Western cuisine or I could have Sushi, but nothing resembling stir fries or dumplings again for a while....the soup dumplings, they were interesting, but the meat inside, not really my taste, it is boiled and does not taste that great, but definitely I would try it cause it is famous there and I definitely did not wanna be left out, I wanna know what the famous things are....so for me....I did not want to have Asian stir fry type food again for the rest of this vacation...Fabienne said to me she could easily go without Western food for 2 weeks, I definitely could not....

So, now I have told you about two of the lunches that we enjoyed in Hong Kong, I do have 3 more meals left, two lunches and one dinner...so please bare with me while in the next two blogs I will talk a little bit more about food...after that I guess it is time for a change, so I promise, after the tow next food blogs about Hong Kong, I will write about something else, but I guess you all know that my venture is a lot about food and places I discover, cause that is what I love so much.....now I am off to bed...so cheers from me....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding time.....my baby sister's wedding

Another cruise in Western Caribbean

First few days in our new home- Dallas TX