Hong Kong

So...Hong Kong...this is not the first time I have been to Hong Kong and hence there were some places which we knew we wanted to visit and see...and then off course I also wanted to explore some new places, places never seen before :-)

The main reason for this visit was to see the baby my sister just had, we wanted to visit the three of them. This trip was a mother and daughter trip, so it was my mom and I. They live a little bit outside Hong Kong, more a suburban area but it is very convenient to take the MTR from where they live into the city and that is also how we got around. It is not so expensive, the lines are every 2 minutes, so really hassle free...the place they stay is rather small, but then again all apartments in Hong Kong are tiny cause the rates are just ridiculous....but it is a quaint little place and has a great view....the area  is also attached to a small shopping mall which is very convenient.

Little Siena (the baby girl) is so adorable, it is just amazing how happy and peaceful she is, so easy, she came to most of the places we visited for lunch and dinner, and she is an absolute pleasure, she is just so cute. Mom and I are so glad we came and visited this bundle of joy.

Now let me tell you about some of the eating places we visited....of course the famous dim sum place we always visit when in Hong Kong, the one in the City Hall called Maxim....this time we arrived at 12:00 and received ticket #36....they were calling ticket #4. oh wow....this was gonna be a loooooong wait...and we were all hungry...oh well, we all wanted to wait.....so we waited...to our amazement our number was called at about 12:45, so a 45min wait, really not bad at all...and now "let the fun begin"...trolleys coming around and us having to choose what we want and what we want to skip...now just to get it into perspective, there are like 20 trolleys driving around and they all have about 6 to 8 different dishes...let me share a pic of one of the trolleys....they state in front in Chinese AND english what they have...
Dim Sum trolleys
So what did we try...off course we al have our favourite dishes, so we each chose but then it is a sharing experience.....from deep fried squid to barbecue pork buns to steamed shrimp dumplings to spring-rolls, to shrimp rolls to corn and shrimp rolls and mushroom & shrimp dumplings, just fab...now let me share some food pics...
 corn, shrimp rolls (in front), deep fried squid (middle), shrimp rolls (back)
Mushroom & shrimp dumpling (front)
Dessert is something I personally skip but Sandro and my sister love it, Fabienne had the tofu with rock sugar and Sandro had the mango and grapefruit soup, that I can eat, but the tofu and rock salt, I tried, it is safe to say....Ill never have it again....
Tofu with rock salt
Now there has been some other good meals....let me share one more with you....mom and I ended up going to Harbour City Mall cause it was rainy, that is on the Tsim Tsha Tsui side...and we walked around and ended up at a little cute cafe called Le cafe de Joel Robuchon....apparently a famous chef (which mom and I only found out afterwards)....the menu looked quite pricey, but the atmosphere looked great so we decided what the hell...let's go for it....
 outside sign
decor inside
table at the window....
Mom and i decided to share a few things....first off, she had a freshly squeezed green apple juice and I had a berry tea...beautifully served....
berry tea
Our first course was the crab and tomato confit high tea sandwich....it was delicious, very delicate, small but tasty.....
crab and tomato confit sandwich
This was followed by the quiche, there was an option of the mushroom quiche or the cheese quiche, we opted for the mushroom quiche, unfortunately the waitress informed us that they are out of mushroom quiche however, they have a vegetarian one with peppers, onions etc....so we decided what the heck....we will go for that one....and again...delicious...the crust was a puff pastry consistency...the inside moist and tasty.
vegetarian quiche
The last savoury dish we wanted to try was one of the crepes, the pics looked delicious and intriguing, we just had to try.....the one that appealed most to us was the crab crepe....melted gruyere cheese (well we all know what a soft spot I have for cheese, let alone gruyere cheese), crab, cherry tomatoes, spinach and an egg......wow....sounding mouth watering...and guess what...it was...and beautifully presented....that was the highlight of our meal....
 crab crepe
crab crepe
At the end we felt like a small sweet treat and opted for the walnut brownie....when it arrived I commented that it looked quite dry...when I tried it, it wasn't too dry, but it was a disappointment, I know there are many better options I could have gone for, but I just felt like a small treat and I believe everything should be good, no matter how small or big....this for me was a disappointment and I would not have it again....I think next time I should try one of the bigger desserts, the one that they are more well-known for....mom said the same, it was ok, but absolutely nothing special at all...pity


 the one we chose, walnut brownie
one of the ones I should have chosen
Anyway....I will go back and next time Ill make a better choice for dessert...the savoury items on the menu I would definitely have again and I would even try some other things which I haven't tried...it looks delicious, we saw a lot of plates going past and they all looked great...so next time in Hong Kong, this place is worth a visit, although not cheap, it is worth it...trust me......

For now...im gonna leave you, tomorrow Ill let you know about some more places, included is an Italian and an amazing seafood spot which is full of locals and no tourists....amazing....so cheers from me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding time.....my baby sister's wedding

Another cruise in Western Caribbean

First few days in our new home- Dallas TX