Cake and cappuccino

More food.....well more like cakes....and some cappuccino....Kim and I love to go for cappuccino and cake preferably carrot cake....but every now and then we do try something else....I have also figured out how I like my cappuccino best....a dry cappuccino with hot milk on the side :-)....guess what, then the cappuccino is not too milky, but I can actually make it as milky as I want it...how clever....took me long enough to figure that out.....but now I am so proud of myself....

So where do Kim and I like to go for coffee and carrot cake....we have two places which currently rank as our top choices and I will of course also explain why....

It is difficult to say which is number one and two because they both have some things which are better...let's start....the one is Woolies in Nicol Way....believe it or not their carrot cake is unbelievable...moist..contains pecan nuts and icing amazing, has some cranberries and pumpkin seeds on top...the size of the carrot cake is also perfect...I hate when the slice is too big cause then I do not even wanna order it....and at Woolies the size is perfect...and of course even if the carrot cake is amazing...if the cappuccino is not..it does not help..so for me...dry cappuccino with extra hot milk on the side...perfecto.....the funny thing i...sometimes I need the milk and sometimes I don't...why...cause sometimes there is already milk added to the espresso and sometimes it is literally just the espresso, that is when I add some extra hot milk....do I have a pic...of course I have a pic....


Woolies carrot cake and cappuccino

The second place that Kim and I love to go to is in Parkhurst, a place called coffee roastery, it is on 4th Avenue and it is very tiny. we always sit outside and we hope there is carrot cake, as they just have cakes of the day...so far, we have always been lucky....again, so moist and again contains nuts and icing, just perfect....size, perfecto and cappuccino, I order dry and here they do add some milk to the espresso, so I do not need to ask for extra milk on the side...again phenomenal....here, I do not have a pic...I definitely need to take one next time....

Now....what are the positives and negatives of each place....woolies has no outside seating and the atmosphere is a little cold....also the service can be EXTREMELY slow (I am not exaggerating). However, it is very convenient for us, just 2 minutes from home :-)

The one in Parkhurst, has mainly outdoor seating, so great if there is sunshine, even in winter as they provide you with blankets (pink or grey), if the weather is not nice, the inside seating I am not too fond of....also it is a little far (20 minutes drive), but definitely worth it for us....so really depending whether we want a quick carrot cake and cappuccino and whether the sun is shining, we make our decision where to go.....

You probably thinking...why are they not trying out other places...and you know, we really should, it sometimes is just hard cause if we really want a good carrot cake and we try out a new place, there is a risk they do not have carrot cake or that it does not meet our standards....so we have also been to the little coffee shop in Sandton City, situated in the in-between level called Walnut Grove, we have never tried the carrot cake there cause it just looks so bloody big, and that kind of has been putting me off, also the cappuccino there is so milky it is shocking, and when I asked for a dry cappuccino, it was as milky as Kim's normal cappuccino (if they do not know what a dry cappuccino is, they should ask), I ended up sending it back (yes, I was embarrassed, but after all we are paying).....then I ordered a macchiato...that was nice...what I really like was the little goodie we received with the coffee....a tiny red velvet cupcake....and it was delicious, so I think next time we go there, we need to try their carrot cake, cause if the red velvet cupcake is nice and moist, there is hope that the carrot cake will be tasty....and yes...i actually do have a pic of the macchiato....


Macchiato at Walnut Grove

So....this is my cappuccino and cake blog....actually I can add one more small thing....twice, we did venture outside the box and ended up having a different cake...the one time we had the almond caramel cheesecake at Woolies, it was very delicious (you can see in the pic below), but I still prefer the carrot cake.....the other time we had the pistachio loaf cake, that was disappointing, we expected it to be moist like the carrot cake and in my opinion it was a little dry and very small....so that one I actually did not even have time for to take a pic.....


Almond and caramel cheescake

One last thing before I leave you....the almond cake at the coffee roastery in Parkhurst also looks very appealing...so next time hopefully we manage to taste that (it is just difficult with this amazing carrot cake to resist the carrot cake).....for now though...my mouth is watering and I am craving cake...but dinner time first...my Mutti (gran) has invited us for a nice dinner...so cheers from me.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding time.....my baby sister's wedding

Another cruise in Western Caribbean

First few days in our new home- Dallas TX